History

Crablands Bowling Club, in Selsey, is over 100 years old having been established in 1912. There were two bowls greens in Selsey at that time, the primary one being part of the Selsey Hotel, where the opening match was played against Chichester in May 1912. The first Bowling Club Dinner was held in October that year with 6 courses and Guinness at 3d. a pint!

Subsequent amalgamation of the New Inn or Village Club and the Selsey Hotel and Tennis Club in 1921/22 resulted in the first reference to Crablands Park Tennis and Bowling Club located on a site very close to our present club.

Many developments took place over the following decades and eventually in 1969 we acquired the freehold of the current site.

The present Clubhouse was largely funded and built by club members and was formally opened by Sir Patrick Moore in 2001, when he bowled the first wood.

wp152bb9e1_06

The old Clubhouse in 1959 with the winner of the Village Cup